Thank you for interest in the Farm-Based Education Residency!
We are in the process of updating this program so that it best serves participants and our programs.
We are not accepting applications at this time.
Please check back for updates in Spring 2017.
The information below is based on how the program has operated in the past.
February - October
The Farm Based Education Residency is an opportunity for individuals interested in pursuing a career and/or post secondary degree in education for sustainability with a focus on farm-based education. Our on-site education programs include family programs, a Children’s Farmyard, school programs, summer camps, large community events and seasonal special events. Residents will support these educational programs and events and help with seasonal agricultural activities in the Children’s Farmyard, woodlands and dairy, including animal chores, gardening and sugaring. Residents will observe, team-teach, and teach independently as part of the education department. Opportunities for reflection and professional learning will be provided throughout the residency. Residents should be prepared to support a continuous effort to foster a culturally aware learning community, open to multiple perspectives.
QUALIFICATIONS & REQUIREMENTS:
The Farm-Based Education Residency is intended for individuals with some previous teaching experience. A bachelor’s degree or equivalent experience in Education, Sustainability, Environmental Studies, Agriculture or a related field is preferred. Additional requirements include:
- Relevant education and work experience
- Passion for place-based, experiential learning in agricultural & natural settings
- Desire to work with children
- Strong interpersonal skills
- Dedication to diversity and inclusiveness
- Openness to giving and receiving feedback
- Ability to thrive in a collaborative work environment
- Ability to teach in an outdoor setting in all seasons in varied terrain
- Ability to drive tractor as needed - training available
- This position requires some evening and weekend work and travel