Shelburne Farms is seeking two motivated individuals to join the Market Garden Team for the 2015 growing season. We operate a 6-acre certified organic market garden that produces mixed vegetables, herbs, berries, and flowers for the Inn at Shelburne Farms, a staff farm-share, and the Shelburne Farmers’ Market. We work in a production-based setting, but serve as a resource for education programs at the Farm.
- Help organize and complete daily chores and garden work: cultivating, weeding, mulching, harvesting, washing/packing/delivering produce, record-keeping, irrigating, operating machinery, pest management, transplanting, seeding, greenhouse work, and animal husbandry (pigs and chickens)
- Staff the Shelburne farmers’ market and support Farm Share distribution
- Provide support to the Farms education and public programs
- Articulate market garden goals and farm mission to all visiting groups and tours
- Receive and provide training on proper and safe usage of all tools and equipment
- Help maintain equipment, buildings, greenhouses, irrigation, and landscape
- Help develop and improve crop planning and production systems
- Support a continuous effort to foster a culturally aware learning community, open to multiple perspectives
Committment: 30-50 hours/week for full season. Weekend hours required. Weekly hours will vary with seasonal fluctuations. Season runs from beginning of April to end of October. Attend seasonal staff orientation.
- Experience with field production of mixed vegetables, greenhouse management, and animal husbandry preferred but not required
- Experience with operating hand and power tools
- Physical and mental ability and desire to work long, hard days that often include bending and repetitive motions
- Ability to work quickly and efficiently in varied weather conditions
- Ability to work independently and as a member of a team
- Ability to lift 60 lbs.
- Comfortable communicating with students and visitors