Shelburne Farms is seeking two motivated individuals to join the Market Garden Team for the 2015 growing season. We operate a 6-acre certified organic market garden that produces mixed vegetables, herbs, berries, and flowers for the Inn at Shelburne Farms, a staff farm-share, and the Shelburne Farmers’ Market. We work in a production-based setting, but serve as a resource for educationa programs at the Farm.
- Complete daily chores and garden work: cultivating, weeding, mulching, harvesting, washing/packing/delivering produce, record-keeping, irrigating, pest management, transplanting, seeding, greenhouse work, and animal husbandry (pigs and chickens)
- Provide support to the Farms education and public programs
- Support a continuous effort to foster a culturally aware learning community, open to multiple perspectives
Time Committment: 20-30 hours a week. Weekly hours will vary with seasonal fluctuations. Season runs from end of May to end of August. Attend seasonal staff orientation.
- Past farm/garden experience is preferred but not necessary
- Physical and mental ability and desire to work long, hard days that often include bending and repetitive motions
- Ability to work quickly and efficiently in varied weather conditions
- Ability to work independently and as a member of a team
- Ability to lift 60 lbs.
- Comfortable communicating with students and visitors
- Positive attitude and strong work ethic