The Coach Barn serves as an inspiring setting where nonprofits, businesses, and community members can convene for conferences, special events, and meetings.
Completed in 1902, it was the last major Shelburne Farms building designed by Robert H. Robertson, and the last major building constructed on the property. As its name implies, the Coach Barn stabled carriage and riding horses for the Webb family; stored carriages, sleighs, and tack; and housed groomsmen. After the carriage collection was donated to the newly-formed Shelburne Museum in 1947, the barn began housing sheep, wintering heifers and hosting cattle auctions.
Beginning in 1972, the Coach Barn served as an education center for the newly-formed nonprofit, hosting school trips, summer camps and educator workshops. This function passed to the Farm Barn in 1993.
Today, the Coach Barn hosts a variety of events for Shelburne Farms, other nonprofits, and private groups. Shelburne Farms’ annual Art Exhibition & Sale is held here every September. Revenue from these functions helps support the Farms’ education programs.