The Old Dairy Barn (1891) was designed by Robert H. Robertson to stable brood mares for W. Seward Webb’s horse breeding operation. When the enterprise folded, the barn was converted to a dairy barn, until the growing herd was moved to a modern facility near Shelburne House in 1952. The barn continued to be used for agricultural storage.
In 1994, Shelburne Farms acquired the Old Dairy Barn, Breeding Barn, and 400 surrounding acres from the Shelburne Museum. (This part of the property had been donated to the Museum by Webb family descendants.) The Barn has been structurally stabilized with a new roof, foundation, and beams.
The long-range plan is to convert the building into a residential learning center, where students, educators and families can convene for in-depth programs.