included in General Admission.
Enjoy a fun, safe, friendly and informative experience with your family! The Farmyard, located in the south wing of the Farm Barn, opened in 1991 and aims to give you and your family a positive, hands-on experience with agriculture!
How do you get to the Farmyard?
- Stroll the Walking Trail from Welcome Ctr. (3/4 mile)
- Ride a 15-minute tractor wagon shuttle from the Welcome Ctr. to the Farm Barn.
- The shuttle to the Farm Barn leaves the Welcome Center at 10am and every half hour thereafter (00:00 and 00:30)
- The shuttle leaves the Farm Barn to return to the Welcome Center every half hour at 00:15 and 00:45.
- The last shuttle leaves the Welcome Ctr. at 4 pm.
- The last shuttle back to the Welcome Center leaves at 4:45 pm.
- The shuttle pickup and dropoff location is inside the Farm Barn courtyard, just outside the Cheesemaking area.
What can you do at the Farmyard?
Explore on your own or join any educational activity scheduled throughout the day! The activities begin at 10:30 by welcoming the chickens outside for the day at the “Chicken Parade.” Activites run every half hour until the Brown Swiss cow gets milked by machine at 4:00. Our trained, enthusiastic educators look forward to connecting with you and your family as they lead these interactive activities.
- Chicken Parade (10:30 am)
- Milk a Cow by hand (11 am & 2 pm daily) Watch the video! *We're introducing Jericho the cow to the Children's Farmyard as of Tuesday, September 6. Since Jericho is new to the farmyard, milking may not be available. Feel free to call the main desk at 802-985-8686 for more information.
- Collect eggs (self-guided anytime between 10:30 and 3pm, or guided by an educator during Eggstravaganza!)
- Brush a Rabbit
- Goat milking demonstration (daily at 4:15 pm)
- Fun with Fiber (card and spin wool into a yarn bracelet)
- Brush a Sheep
- Pig Party or Soak the Sow
- Get in the Garden
- Farm Chores (help the farmers feed the animals every day at 3:30pm)
- RAPTORS in RESIDENCE: every Saturday at 1 pm in the woods behind the Farmyard through October 15th. Meet live birds of prey and learn about the amazing world of raptors with Outreach for Earth Stewardship!
- and much more!
The schedule changes daily except for Milk a Cow, Chicken Parade, and Farm Chores activities. Give us a call or come over to find out what's happening today!
What animals do we have?
- Brown Swiss milk cow
- Brown Swiss calves
- Dairy Goats (due to kid in the beginning of June)
- Sheep and lambs
- Pigs (arriving soon)
- Laying hens of all shapes and sizes
- Broilers (arriving in July)
- Turkeys (arriving in July)
- Miniature Sicilian Donkeys
- Draft Horse